Tuesday, October 26, 2010

prayer

I thank God for the gift of my ears
To hear another's cry and feel responsible

I thank God for the gift of my eyes
To see things that frustrate me and make me feel uncomfortable

I thank God for making me uncomfortable enough
To let my emotions out and use those same eyes to cry

I thank God for the gift of my feet
To take a step back and think before I take a step forward to act

I thank God for the gift of my mind
To try and make sense of my experiences
Even when it seems impossible

I thank God for the gift of my hands
To cradle another in their struggle
So that they know it will be okay

I thank God for the gift of my voice
To cry out and stand for another
In the hopes that others will soon hear me

I thank God for the gift of my breath
The exhalation of God in my being;
The foundation of all of these gifts that will work tirelessly
Until God inhales once again

No comments:

Post a Comment